Tricker’s Newbury with Dainite rubber soles

by Andrew W on September 10 2011 · 9 comments

in Uncategorized

Trickers Newbury

My first pair of Tricker’s arrived last week. I bought them from a Halifax-based outfit called Pediwear, and was very impressed with their service. Shipping to Japan was fast (about a week), free and reliable; and the total cost – import duties included – was much less than buying at full retail from a Japanese retailer. Pediwear threw in (surprisingly good) Dasco shoe trees, a tin of Tricker’s wax polish and a shoe horn. And they also provide a 5% discount on subsequent Tricker’s purchases, which is very handy indeed – in fact I’m already eyeing up my next pair.

Anyway, back to the shoes… Rather than go for the traditional, large-brogued brown country shoe for which Tricker’s are famous I opted for the Newbury, which is a slightly more reserved black calf-leather brogue derby from the 1829 line.

As you can see, the Newburys are fairly chunky but not particularly obtrusive. (They’re especially smashing with a good flannel or worsted wool suit.) They come in Tricker’s standard “5” fitting, which is, I believe, equal to a UK “F”.

As with any person my feet are quite unique. The midsection of my foot is narrow but I have very long toes that like to spread out. I found the Newbury’s toe box to be about right in terms of width – anything narrower and my big toe would have been rubbing uncomfortably against the seams – but the arch and opening are most definitely roomy. In their present not-yet-broken-in state I have to tie the laces very tightly in order to keep my feet from slipping about. From experience I’ve found that this becomes less of an issue as the leather wears in: older, supple leather easily moves with the joints of my toes and ankles; brand new, tougher leather tends to fight against them and push my foot about.

Saying that, the Newburys were a lot more comfortable out of the box than many of my old shoes, despite the relative toughness of the leather. There’s a bit of chafing around the ankles but it’s not particularly painful. I’ve heard it said that if a shoe is a blister-former from the outset then it’s not the right size for you. I disagree: I have a pair of brown oxfords that actually drew blood on the first few wears but are now as comfortable as slippers. Sometimes you get lucky and don’t have to break shoes in; sometimes you’ve just got to put up with some discomfort for a few days.

I decided to opt for Dainite rather than leather soles. This was purely for practical reasons, as I’ll soon be walking to the office and back instead of taking the train, and Tokyo is a lot wetter than most European cities (annually, it receives more than twice as much rain as London). Dainite-soled shoes don’t have the same degree of flexibility or breathability as leather soled ones, but there is always the option of having leather soles fitted later on.

So, all in all, I’m happy with the Newburys. But just in case things change I’ll post an update (with photos) in a few months to explain how well (or badly) they’ve broken in.

Model: Tricker’s Newbury
Colour: Black
Size: UK 9 (width “5”)
Sole: Dainite rubber on a Goodyear welt
Length (from heel to toe of outer sole): 31.5 cm
Width (at widest point): 11.5 cm

Related Posts:
  1. Alden Indy boot with commando soles Alden’s Indy boot, also known as the 405, usually comes...

{ 8 comments }

Ryan September 10, 2011 at 11:27 pm

very nice!

Michael September 11, 2011 at 12:25 am

love it!

Lark September 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm

Stopped in to say that I’ve gotten several pairs of Trickers from Pediwear – always found the service and the shoes exceptional. I’ve never tried the Newburys but now that I think about it, I’ve been wanting a shoe sturdier than their Jermyn Street line but not as chunky as the Bourton…so perhaps.

Dainite soles get a bad rap, in my opinion. (So do vibram – I’ve got a quite good pair of Trickers with a thinner vibram sole.) Leather soles wear in and feel like slippers, true, but for those of us who do a little light cycling for errands or who walk a good deal during the day or who are about in all weathers – and I’m all three – leather soles get destroyed too quickly.

Andrew W September 18, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Ryan & Michael: Thanks very much!

Lark: I’m quite fond of Dainite soles too, they certainly save on shoe repairs. I might go for a leather-soled pair from the Jermyn St line next time, just to see what they’re like.

Ken B October 28, 2011 at 11:38 am

Andrew:
I enjoy your blog and particularly found this posting helpful and nicely done. I would love some new Tricker’s myself (either Newburys or Epsoms, I think), but they’re a bit of a stretch for me at the moment. Thanks for the informative appraisal.

Andrew W November 1, 2011 at 8:25 am

Hi Ken,

Thanks very much for your comment, and glad that the post was useful to you. I’m very happy with my Tricker’s – a good, solid pair of shoes that will survive many winters.

Ken B February 9, 2012 at 11:54 am

Andrew:

Just wondered how the break-in on the Dainite soles has gone. I have the same sole on a pair of English shoes from a different maker, and I’m beginning to think I don’t like them as much as I thought I would. They feel hard and I can feel the little “knobs” on the soles of my feet. It’s not awful, but I notice it.

Andrew W February 11, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your comment. Thankfully, the Dainite soles have broken in without any trouble. I do know what you mean about being able to feel the studs, though: I have another pair of shoes with Dainite soles and can feel the edge of the studs digging into my left big toe after a few hours of wear. Trickers must do a good job of padding the area between the inner and outer sole.

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 1 trackback }